The Lyons Redstone Museum (the town’s old schoolhouse built in 1881) is one place in Lyons, Colorado for folks to visit. It features Lyons history in displays, photographs, and genealogy. There is also a book sale and gift shop. The Museum is open daily June through September. Our visitors include tourists, residents, past and present students, and those “seeking their heritage”.
The stone school house was originally built as a 30 foot by 40 foot stone school building in 1881. The stone was obtained from the nearby quarries. and was completed and ready for the 40 students the fall of 1882 with Mr. T. J. Thorne as the first teacher.
In 1895 the stone building was remodeled into a two-story building with two classrooms. Then in the spring of 1902 it was remodeled again this time into a four-room, two-story building, looking like it does today.